CALAVERAS COUNTY, CALIFORNIA
 

1076 Listings

Page: 1 of 3 Section: 1-5of 11 Place Names: | Ab-Jo |
Page: 2 of 3  Section: 6-10 of 11 Place Names: | Jo-Tu |
Page: 3 of 3  Section: 6-11 of 11 Place Names: | Tu-Zw |
Population: 40,554     2000 census
Area: 652,920 Acres
County Seat: Pleasant Valley* 1850 Double Springs* 1850 Jackson* 1850-1852
Mokelumne Hill 1852-1866 San Andreas 1866-present
Date: February 18, 1850 Original county

 

Mining Districts
Name Type
   
   
   
Historical Landmarks
Number

Name

Date
41 Big Bar 1848
251 Valley Springs 1885
252 San Andreas 1848
253 Sandy Gulch 1849
254 Camanche 
once called Limerick
Inundated by  Camanche Reservoir
1849
255 Calaveritos 1849
256 I.O.O.F. Hall, Mokelumne Hill 1854
257 Campo Seco 1849
258 Fourth Crossing
once called Foremans
1850
261 Congregational Church August 28, 1856
262 Milton 1871
263 Stone Corral  
264 Double Springs February 18, 1850
265 Chili Gulch 1848
266 Jenny Lind 1849
267 Mitchler Hotel  (1882)
first called Sperry and then Perry
Murphys Hotel (1945)
August 20, 1856
268 West Point  
269 Mokulumne Hill 1848
271 Pioneer Cemetery 1851
272 Douglas Flat 1850
273 Vallecito 1850
274 Carson Hill 1848
275 Murphys 1849
276 Robinson's Ferry 1848
280 Glencoe
once called Mosquito Gulch
1850
281 O'Bryne Ferry  
282 El Dorado
Became Mountain Ranch
1872
284 Jesus Maria 1850
286 Railroad Flat  
287 Angels Camp 1849
288 Altaville 1873
295 Paloma 1849
296 Copperopolis 1860
370 Vallecito Bell Monument
once called Murphy's Old Diggings
1849
465 Old Mining Camp of Brownsville 1850
466 The Peter L. Traver Building 1856
499 Red Brick Grammer School 1848
663 Courthouse of Calaveras County (1852-1866) and Ledger Hotel
(once called Grand Hotel)
1852
734 Angels Hotel 1851
735 Prince-Garibardi Building 1852
769 Birthplace of Archie Stevenot
956 California Caverns at Cave City 1850

 

 

Census Totals

1850 1860 1870 1880
16,884 16,299 8,895 8,980

 

Territorial History

1850 One of the 27 original counties
  Territory from Calaveras to Alpine (1854)
Territory from Calaveras to Amador (1854)
Territory from Calaveras to Mono (1861
Territory from Calaveras to Fresno (1856)

 

*Pleasant Valley changed name to Double Springs (1850) (site near present Valley Springs)
*Jackson was the county seat of both Amador and Calaveras counties
Calaveras means "skulls." Named after the Calaveras River, which was named by an early explorer when he found, on the banks of the river, skulls of many Indians. 

 

Click on the page you wish to view.

If You Have any Interesting Sites
That Are Not Included, Please
Email us with the information.

Copyright 2005
WhippleWell

All Rights Reserved