ALAMEDA COUNTY, CALIFORNIA
1353 Listings
Page: 1 of 3 Section: 1-5 of 14  Place Names: | Ac-Ha |
Page: 2 of 3 Section: 6-10 of 14 Place Names: | Ha-Re |
Page: 3 of 3 Section: 11-14 of 14 Place Names: | Re-Zi |
Population: 1,443,741     2000 census
Area: 472,000 Acres
County Seat: Alvarado* 1853-1855 San Leandro 1855 Alvarado* 1855-1856
San Leandro 1856-1872 Brooklyn* 1872-1875 Oakland 1875 - present
Date: 1853 From Contra Costa & Santa Clara Counties

 

Mining Districts
Name Type
   
   
Spanish Missions

Name

Date

Date Restored
Mission San Jose June 9, 1797 1985
Historical Landmarks
Number

Name

Date
45 Site of College of California June 1853
46 Vallejo Flour Mill 1853
107 Joaquin Miller Home 1886
241 Livermore Memorial Monument 1835-1858 ?
246 Rancho San Antonio August 3, 1820
279 Estudillo Home 1850
285 Peralta Home 1860
299 Camino of Rancho San Antonio  
334 Mission San Jose June 9, 1797
335 Site of Shell Mound  
440 Alameda Terminal of the First Transcontinental Railroad September 6, 1869
503 Site of first County Courthouse June 6, 1853
510 Francisco Solano Alviso Adobe 1844-1846
586 Cresta Blanca Winery 1882
641 Concannon Vineyard 1883
642 Leland Stanford Winery 1869
676 Site of Saint Mary's College 1899
694 Church of St. James the Apostle June 27, 1858
768 Site of Nations First Successful Beet Sugar Factory November 15, 1870
776 Site of First Public School in Castro Valley 1866
824 San Leandro Oyster Beds 1890
849 Mills Hall 1871
884 Paramount Theatre December 16, 1931
896 First Unitarian Church of Oakland 1889
908 Berkeley City Club 1929
925 Peralta Hacienda Site  
946 University of California Berkeley Campus 1873
954 Croll Building 1890
957 Wente Brothers Winery 1883
962 Site of Blossom Rock Navigation Trees  
968 Site of the China Clipper Departure Flight November 22, 1935
970 Rainbow Trout Species Identified 1855
986 Piedmont Way 1865

 

Census Totals

1850 1860 1870 1880
  8,927 24,237 63,639

 

Territorial History

1853 Created from Contra Costa & Santa Clara Counties
  Territory from Contra Costa to Alameda (1853)
Territory from Santa Clara to Alameda (1853)

 

*Alvarado is now part of Union City
*Brooklyn is now part of Oakland
The word Alameda is a derivative of the Spanish word 'alamo', the name for cottonwood or poplar tree, and means a "grove of poplar trees." The name was applied both to the southern portion of the county (La Alameda) and to the stream running through it (Rio de la Alameda) as early as 1795.

 

Click on the page you wish to view.

If You Have any Interesting Sites
That Are Not Included, Please
Email us with the information.
Our Home Page.

Copyright 2005
WhippleWell

All Rights Reserved